Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Teachings of PILOT

April 8th, 2015

I'm sick with Strep Throat so I've had a lot of time to do some reflection on last week.

I think one of the most oddest feelings is leaving something you become so absorbed in. Back in January when I went to Outdoor Ed, I felt the exact thing I am feeling now. I spent so much time at PILOT not just for this project but for myself.

Before PILOT, I assumed and stereotyped my Pacific Islander culture. Some of the common things I assumed and stereotyped were thoughts like, "Every P.I. plays football." "Every P.I. is a dropout and a menace/burden to society." "The only thing that P.I.'s ever care for is their family and gangs that they're involved with." "Every P.I. is overweight." Things like this aren't pretty, and its shameful to know I used to think this way. In fact, I guess you can even say I was ashamed of being a P.I.

If you look at our people, we haven't really benefited or contributed to the world other than the fact that we have strong cultural values, (which are dying) good food, and unique self/cultural dancing. Half of us can't even speak our own languages. You never see a P.I. in the news for doing something good either. One of the most recent things I've heard about P.I.s in the news was that a Samoan couple had a 20 pound baby. I get why this would be news, but why would anyone benefit from knowing this. Even when I started PILOT, I expected to be shunned because I wasn't a full Pacific Islander. (I'm Peruvian, Polynesian, and White, with a hint of Japanese.)

But that wasn't the case.

On my first day of PILOT, I was warmly welcomed by everyone that was working with the program. They didn't care that I wasn't a full P.I. for some reason. In other instances, I have been shunned because I wasn't like them. I was too insignificant. When other members came, it was a bit awkward since we didn't know each other. But just like Outdoor Ed, I had the same feeling that this was going to be a different experience and that I will eventually come to love each and everyone that entered the program.

I wasn't spot off. After the first two days I grew fond of each person that walked through the Mana room.  I found that soon I could express myself and joke with everyone in the room. As I did this, I also got to know everyone else's lives and struggles. I think our biggest bonding moment was the activity dubbed, "Star Power." (I can't elaborate on it though for secretive reasons.) After Star Power, we all were able to understand how the world works, and the things we all face as a P.I. community. We realized that we are all in this together, whether we like it or not, and if we actually want to change it, we can. The tools are there for us and so many others that want to do things. The hardest parts about changing the world are finding the opportunities to do so and to keep the motivation you have at that moment.

At PILOT, two quotes stood out to me. The first quote is from a Fijian teacher from the University of Hawaii who is working on his PhD in Political Science. (I think I said this in my blog about my 3rd day of PILOT.) I was talking to him about studying Political Science in order to change the world for the better. He immediately told me to "Shut up." I was quite astonished and pretty much speechless. When I found out I still had a functional mouth, I asked him why. He responded with think Fijian accent, "It does not take a degree in Political Science to change the world. All it takes is a passion for people."

The next quote is short and simple, but true. I believe Cassandra told me this one. "The most dangerous person (or P.I.) is an educated person." This quote goes without saying. In our society, we need a higher education in order to do what we want and make money. For example, the teachers in our school district barely make enough in order to make it above the San Francisco poverty line. I am assuming most of our teachers only have a Bachelor's Degree. Therefore, to make more money or live comfortably or start a family, they'd have to go back to College and get an M.A or Masters or PhD. It's ridiculous, and forever will be UNTIL WE CHANGE THAT AS A COMMUNITY.

I think its safe to say that minority communities need programs like PILOT to instill the need for changing our world for the better. We often look within our communities and find problems and ask ourselves, "why doesn't someone do anything to change that." PILOT, (and SIA) taught me that we, the people, are that someone. It is our humanly, if not God given, duty to change things to better our world and the people in it. The world doesn't revolve around us. We revolve around our world.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment