Saturday, April 4, 2015

Last Day at PILOT. (Day 5)

Written April 4th, 2015

Today was bittersweet, as it was our last day at PILOT.

Breakfast was amazing yesterday. Salmon, Tapai, yams, and other sorts of P.I. food was warm and ready for PILOT to eat. It was generally quiet in the morning. I think that we all felt sad that it was our last day, and remained quite.

After breakfast and an icebreaker activity, we went into the conference room and opened up with prayer. Our leaders started the activities out of order. The first activity was understanding our values. We all got a paper and wrote who and what we valued in family, religion, and culture. Our leaders then explained we needed to rip the paper if we identified with statements they read. This activity really gave members food for thought, as we wondered if we lived up to the conformity of the world. Afterwards the Forward Movement Project was introduced by Danny-Boy. He showed a project he and other leaders were working on, and asked us to participate in.

Next, we discussed what was Beyond PILOT. Many leaders went up and shared activities and projects they and their NPOs are currently working on. One close to home would be at San Mateo High School. Kaserina went up and explained that they're throwing a big P.I. festival on April 18. Nani shared a health convention that will be held at the Samoan Community Development Center.

When they were done sharing, we wrote letters to our future selves. The main theme of the activity was to understand where we have come from, and where we plan on going. Nani is going to mail the letters 2-3 months from now. The family went to lunch afterwards.

Coming back from lunch, we all were nervous about giving our, "PILOT Talks." PILOT talks are the same as TED talks. The day before Friday, I got into an argument with my uncle. I shared this experience with everybody, and discussed how our age limits what people think of us. Many times, our elders believe they may know whats best for us, but I explained that through PILOT, I figured out how I will not be silenced by negative and corrupt authority. In order to grow, a person has to become vulnerable and stand up for what is right, whether it be for themselves or for another. That is the only way that the world we live in can be changed for a positive effect.

When PILOT Talks closed, we were awarded our certificates of completion. Danny-Boy personally gave advice to each and everyone one of us. He told me personally that, "Despite your age Alex, you are very wise and have numerous potential. But make sure to always humble yourself. If you don't humble yourself, it will be a hard road." He said more, which is hard to recall, but the words I do remember really do make me think about how I act and how I portal myself. In order to change the world and become great, one must know when to step up and step down.

After PILOT Talks, we reflected on the events of the day and the past week. We filled out our evaluation forms and took hundreds of pictures together. Because of this I was super late for work, but it was worth it. Money will not bring someone true happiness.

I can honestly say I'm going through withdrawals of PILOT. It doesn't feel right that I'm not in the Mana or conference room discussing all sorts of matters. Its weird not hearing the multiple dialects and languages that I have yet to learn, the beautiful harmonization of Ono's vocals, the music played from Urusla's ukelele, Loni's electric bass, and Jen's guitar. I will never forget PILOT and the people I met at this experience. I can promise you, if I ever make it to the top I am going to change the way the world thinks of the Pacific Islander community. I'm glad that the Capstone Project helped me fulfill not only my hours, but a void in who I am and who I want and will be.

Thank you for reading my blog.

Aloha nui loa, (Hawaiian)
La Soifua Ma Ia Mania, (Samoan)
Malo 'Aupito, (Tongan)
Vanuinui Vinaka e Nomu Volau. (Fijian)

Alexander K Hernani

Hours completed: 9















Total hours completed: 42-43

No comments:

Post a Comment