Thursday, April 2, 2015

PILOT Day 3! (Part 2 With Pictures!)

April 1, 2015

Continued…

After lunch, the PILOT leaders gathered the community leaders into the other room. (I'll start calling it conference room now.) They brought the Youth in and had us take seats. The room was packed, yet it was pretty hyped for some reason. They explained to us that this was our time to make connections, ask questions, and get to know who and what our leaders are and act like. In this blog I am going to point out some interviews I had that had the most positive affect on me. I also would like to note that I took notes and interviewed several other people on my research project, since most leaders were big shots in many NPOs. (I left my binder at the SCDC today so I'll need to fill in the names at a later date.)

My first impactful interview was with a creative writer. She was about in her 40s or 50s. I was so excited to meet her and talk to her that I was super anxious. We talked about my creative writing class and the impact its had on me this year. I invited her to come to our school and talk to my class, to which she pleasantly agreed to. She then asked to see some of my work, so I showed her the 2nd draft version of a poem I wrote for C.W. class. She really flattered me with her comments and compliments. I felt like a kid who was clichély looking up to his hero. It was hard leaving her since there was so much I wanted to say, but I left positively and ready to improve my writing to better communicate emotions in our world

My next interview that was impactful was with a man called Damien. Professionally, he's a probation officer. Socially, he runs a non-profit called, "(forgot word) Playaz." Before I even took my seat, Damien said that he had been eavesdropping on my previous conversation and said that I had been "really blessed with communication skills." I shared a few things from my life as he talked about his job in order to relate to him and make conversation. Towards the end, Damien invited me to join his NPO. I said I'd think about it. The most important thing that he had said to me was when he was praising me. He told me that I was going to go far in life, and by taking the right path, I could even be president some day. Wouldn't that be the dream?

The last interview that profoundly stood out to me was the quick and simple conversation I had with a U.H. Professor who was in California working on his PHD. He was a Fijian man, who had dark skin, short, gray, hair, and looked stern. We got into conversation after a few seconds and I could tell he knew more than he looked. It was like he was reading me. He asked me what I wanted to do in life to which I replied that I wasn't sure, but wanted to make a difference in my community. I said I would most likely go into Political Science in order to understand the political side of the government, to change the world for the better, and to become a senator or representative.

This man said the most shocking thing to me at that moment. He raised his hand and said simply, "Shut up." I paused for a second, not knowing what to say or do. He then looked me and the eye and said, "You do not need a degree in political science in order to change the world or become a politician. What you need is a passion for people; and thats something you have. Right now, we are discussing politics as we speak. You already have the skills you need. Just utilize them and you will find your way."

I think that was my take away moment. My, Aha, moment. I will never forget that moment in my entire life. This activity lasted so long. Afterwards, another creative writer, Tammy, performed one of her own pieces. I also invited her to talk to my Creative Writing class, to which she agreed. By the end of reflection and our prayer to end the day, it was already an hour over time. Though I may have completed my hours, I will still finish this program for the week. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't.

Hours completed: 9
Total Hours completed: 25/25











No comments:

Post a Comment