Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 2 of PILOT

April 1, 2015

So day two of PILOT was a bit slow. All I know/ remember was that I was busy that day. I had PILOT from 9-5 and then I had work from 6pm to 1am because one of the closing workers left because of an emergency. My co-worker and I were the only two cleaning the store for closing. (I am making this post a day after.)

We opened up the day with a usual ice breaker game and breakfast. Most of the food and drinks are homemade, like the traditional fruit drink Otai. After our game we went into the other room to get to work.

We opened up with an activity called, "Take a Stand." All you really had to do was go on the agree or disagree side of the room and explain why you agreed or disagreed with a statement the mediators read. I was somewhat the devil's advocate because I wanted to talk about my own personal truths and beliefs, and also cause some conversation. It was a successful activity.

Next, we watched a 30 min video on the effects that the nuclear bomb testing in the Marshall Islands. We learned that even today its still affecting their health and society. Some women even have "jelly babies." I' d rather not elaborate on that. Anyways, the video made a strong universal theme. It stated that communities with more money are healthier and stronger while those with less money are not.

After lunch, we moved onto our next activity, which i can't remember.

Our last activity was a project. We had to address problems within our community and outline a plan in order to help it. My subject was Immigration. Though tired and worn out, I tried my best to present, but I just felt like I was rambling the whole time.

That was really it. I'm going to upload the photos from this day on the next post.

Hours completed: 8
Total hours completed: 16/25

No comments:

Post a Comment